Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Queens' Gambit by Elizabeth Freemantle



Queen’s Gambit by Elizabeth Freemantle
I received this as an ARC from Goodreads.com.  I loved this book, this story, this author this plot-everything!
It took me longer to finish because I savored the writing and the story.  First, this is the first story I read about Katherine Parr.  Anne Boyle and Catherine of Aragon and Jane Seymour get the most attention since they have had such fascinating stories.  Fremantle’s story was very intriguing and she did a very thorough job of presenting Katherine Parr. 
There were some parts that Freemantle really captured.  I thought it was interesting that Katherine envied Dot’s life; she gives us an insight to Katherine’s world, “occasionally she has envied the simplicity of Dot’s life, and would have changed places with her gladly…” (p231).  Mantle paints a picture of life in court that I found to be very fascinating.  There is so much danger, back-stabbing and fear that is always lurking.  I felt very sad and protective of Katherine, her persona seemed in conflict with the deviousness around her.  I definitely want to learn more about Katherine and her life. 
Freemantle has a very fluid way of writing, it is very easy to start reading and lose track of time.   I love that Katherine was not over showed by Henry VIII’s encompassing personality.    I would love for Freemantle to continue to write a series maybe about Mary Seymour.
I would definitely re-read this and recommend it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Callum by Sawyer Bennett!

New Release from Sawyer Bennett Callum (Pittsburgh Titans, Book #12) Synopsis: Callum Derringer was hired by the Pittsburgh Titans ...