Thursday, February 20, 2014

After I'm Gone by Laura Lippman















 Review:
*ARC provided from publisher for an honest review

I’ve never read Laura Lippman, to my shame, before “After I’m Gone”.  I did not know what to expect but the premise of this book sounded very interesting.  Anytime you have a mistress and wife coming to terms with her husband’s extramarital affairs, it promises to be interesting.  My doubts were if the author could carry off this premise without falling short.  Lippman really delivers in this story.  It seems like this will be an emotional novel about a women coming to terms with her husband and their marriage, it really is so much more-a lot more.  There are many key characters and even though I thought I knew how the story would end, I really did not see the end coming.  Felix Brewer, the husband, gambler is as rotten as they come… He has his cake and wants to eat it too. 
Aside from the “who-dun-it” aspect of the book, I really enjoyed how Lippman showed the repercussions for his decisions.  Not only does he leave his wife with very little income but he also affects the life’s of his three daughters.  It was easy to become invested in the family because Lippman starts off by giving us a glimpse into Felix, while still alive, and with his family.  The time line jumps around as Felix is with his family, he disappears and then it’s ten years later.  Bambi, his wife was also interesting, at times she was difficult to understand but at the end of the day she was a single mom trying to take care of her daughters.  One aspect that really drew me in was Felix’s presence throughout the book.  Although not physically there pieces of him become visible as the story unravels. 
I highly recommend this book. I think it has a little bit of everything, with a perfect balance of it all.  Women’s fiction or mystery this story has a little bit of everything.  I will also be adding more of Lipmman’s work to my to-read list.
 
Here's the tour schedule:

Tuesday, February 11th: Book-alicious Mama
Wednesday, February 12th: Reading Reality
Thursday, February 13th: The House of Crime and Mystery
Monday, February 17th: Drey’s Library
Tuesday, February 18th: Bibliophiliac
Wednesday, February 19th: Books à la Mode
Wednesday, February 19th: Books and Bindings
Thursday, February 20th: Jen’s Book Thoughts
Friday, February 21st: Book Nerd
Monday, February 24th: My Bookshelf
Tuesday, February 25th: No More Grumpy Bookseller
Wednesday, February 26th: Kahakai Kitchen
Thursday, February 27th: Jenn’s Bookshelves
Friday, February 28th: 5 Minutes For Books
Friday, February 28th: Book Journey
Date TBD: Cheryl’s Book Nook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Callum by Sawyer Bennett!

New Release from Sawyer Bennett Callum (Pittsburgh Titans, Book #12) Synopsis: Callum Derringer was hired by the Pittsburgh Titans ...