Friday, January 2, 2015

Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After #2) by Tessa Dare

Four Stars
Copy received for an honest review
What a fun, sweet, heart-warming, laugh-out-loud read. I’ve read Tessa Dare before but I was so impressed with her in “Say Yes to the Marquess.” Page one the story begins and I was instantly interested in Clio Whitmore. What a great heroine. I loved her, I applauded her and I wanted to stand up and cheer for her!

When the story begins, Clio is looking to end her eight year engagement to the Piers Brandon. Piers is the very eligible older brother. Although he is engaged to Clio he has been wondering the globe while she has been sitting at home waiting for his return. The reasons for his absence become known later in the story. Clio is sick of waiting. She has endured her mother’s constant priming and now that she has inherited a castle from her uncle, she is read to take her life into her own hands. The obvious problem is that Clio can’t find Piers to “annul” their engagement. The only other option is Rafe Brandon- Pier’s brother.

Rafe can’t be any more unlike his brother! He is not accepted in polite society since he makes a living prize fighting. Unlike his older brother he is not able to manage the estates as effectively and unlike his older brother, he is madly in love with Clio. Rafe is a little rough around the edges, but he is also comically sweet and intensely loyal. 

When Clio asks Rafe to let her out of her engagement, he refuses. Not only does he refuse but their first meeting is so funny I could not help laughing. They had instant chemistry from their first meeting and it continued throughout. Rafe was so incredibly sweet and vulnerable. He sets off to see Clio in her castle and asks that he give her a week to change her mind about marrying his brother. He is determined to give her the wedding of her dreams. Clio agrees but she has already made of her mind about the wedding and she has her life planned. 

When Clio receives Rafe’s unexpected visit she is a little taken aback, but she welcomes him and his very funny promoter who is masquerading as a wedding planner. I loved Rafe and Clio so much. There was a sweetness to them both that made my heartache. Rafe went out of his way to not ruin Clio’s engagement. They shared many funny and sweet scenes as they learn about each other. The author really did an amazing job with Clio and Rafe. Aside from the meddling family members, this was also about Clio finding her voice. I loved them both and understood them. I also loved the secondary characters, they were fun and added to the story. Most importantly, I loved that Rafe and Piers had a chance to really get to know each other as brothers. I read this book in one sitting. I put toothpicks under my eyelids so they would not close and so I could see how Clio and Rafe ended up together. Hilarious and heartwarming! Loved!
Say Yes to the Marquess (Castles Ever After, #2)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Callum by Sawyer Bennett!

New Release from Sawyer Bennett Callum (Pittsburgh Titans, Book #12) Synopsis: Callum Derringer was hired by the Pittsburgh Titans ...