Tuesday, July 9, 2019

ARC Review: The Governess by Christi Caldwell

Christi Caldwell has been on my to-read list for a long time. “The Governess” caught my eye and I dove right in. This is part of a series, Wicked Wallflowers. “The Governess” is book is the third book in the series so many of the characters from the previous books appear. I didn’t feel lost but there is a very critical events that build up in this story and those events start in the previous books, so I would recommend that before you fall down the Caldwell rabbit hole like I did you have those on reserve at the library.

The heroine, Regina-or as the hero fondly calls her Reggie, has been Broderick Killoran’s right hand women. Broderick runs a gaming hall and is very successful. He depends on Reggie for everything but has never seen her as anything other than his confidant. Now that Reggie is ready to leave Broderick he starts to realize that he not only grew accustomed to Reggie but he has very deep feelings for her. Everyone around Broderick can tell that Reggie is in love with him but Broderick had never thought of Reggie that way. As Broderick’s family and gaming hall is threatened, he slowly comes to realize that he can’t control everything and despite his best efforts, he can’t always protect the ones he loves. Reggie feels that Broderick will never see her as the women she has become. She feels that if she doesn’t move on her life will always be the same. With the help from a friend she dares to separate from Broderick and the family that has slowly become hers as well.

I loved everything about this story. Once I started to read it, I could not put it down. I loved the chemistry between Reggie and Broderick. I loved their friendship and their history together. I loved the back stories which were all interesting and I could not help but feel for the characters. Once I finished this story I quickly looked for the first two books in the series:” The Hellion” and also “The Vixen”. The back stories are interesting and add to the characters but I still loved “The Governess.” I am making my way for “The Bluestocking” which already is a great story even though I have not finished it. Review to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Scandalous Ladies of London #2 The Duchess: The Scandalous Ladies of London

Classic Sophie Jordan! I really , really enjoyed this book. I could not wait to read about Valencia! I thought her story was very unique... ...