Thursday, November 5, 2015

ARC Review: The Irresistible Rogue by Valerie Bowman

Four Stars
Valerie Bowman is an automatic read for me. I personally think she is a very talented writer. I’m very impressed with her characters and the different challenges they grow through. I’ve read all the books in her “Playful Brides” series and all her characters grow individually and as a couple. She also has a great plot lined up for hero and heroine. I’ve noticed that both in “The Irresistible Rogue” and in “The Unlikely Lady” the romance is coupled with adventure. I’ve been hooked on Lady Daphne Swift and Captain Rafe Cavendish since I was introduced to them in “The Unlikely Lady.” I was so happy with Bowman had planned for them!

Lady Daphne was a very interesting heroine. She is determined to be of service to her country but the confines of her sex limit her options. When her brother Donald okays her involvement in a mission with Captain Rafe she instantly jumps to the chance. When this book picks up she is still married to Captain Rafe but quickly needs an annulment so she can marry a man that meets all the criteria on her list. Captain Rafe definitely does not. At the beginning of the story I was a little frustrated with Lady Daphne. She was so obsessed with getting proposed to and marrying that she seemed very shallow. Captain Rafe has unfinished business with Daphne. Their mission is still not complete and he refuses to grant her annulment. For me, Captain Rafe was a little elusive. It was difficult to get him and understand him. As the story progressed along it became easier to understand them both and ultimately really like them.

Lady Daphne and Captain Rafe were a fantastic couple. They were both very courageous and very dedicated to their mission. They also really loved each other and wanted to make their relationship work but miscommunication and self-rejection played a big role. Bowman brings back the other characters from the previous books and it was nice to see them again and help Daphne fight for Rafe. I really loved how Daphne and Rafe grew in their love and in their friendship for one another.

A lot happens in this book, we start off at Daphne’s engagement party, then on a mission with Rafe, then back to Daphne’s house and then back on a mission. I really loved all the adventure that Captain Rafe experienced. There were some edge of my seat moments and I thought Bowman really wrote them with intensity and with the essence of the characters in mind. I also loved the very surprise character we met at the end. I personally can’t wait to see what Bowman has in store with her next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

The Scandalous Ladies of London #2 The Duchess: The Scandalous Ladies of London

Classic Sophie Jordan! I really , really enjoyed this book. I could not wait to read about Valencia! I thought her story was very unique... ...